Saturday, January 17, 2009

Last weekend in Denmark and Europe

This morning, Jon reminded me that this is our last weekend in Denmark. Jon told me that he was looking at the photos and he missed the days when we first arrived in Denmark and toured Copenhagen together on Sunday with Tanunya. A part of me wants to go back, but another part tells me that I will miss my life here because it's so much more relaxed than my life in NUS.

Actually we wanted to go to Arhus or at least explore more of Denmark, but we are both rushing 2 reports to be submitted on Monday. I finished up all the calculations and data analysis for one of our reports this afternoon, now just waiting for the experimental data to be tidied up and put into Appendices by Dawid. It was an experiment on the influence of flow and mixing patterns in flow reactors. Jon told me to be in charge of this report because my theoretical knowledge in this area is stronger. He took charge of the last experiment on multiple steady states, a subject he has better understanding of than me. Haha....

Jon has been working hard on the report for multiple steady states experiment. Everything was smooth until he was trying to generate the theoretical S-curve from G(T) and R(T) functions. He wrote the program codes in Matlab for G(T), but the simulation result differs from theory by a factor of 1000! We were suspecting that maybe the units may have been wrong somewhere, but I checked again and again thoroughly, from units to equations to coding and I found no mistakes. Arrgghhh... This is really irritating!! Just yesterday, I was also having problems with my RTD Data analysis because my calculated F(t) differs by a factor of 10! It also took me quite a while to realise my error in the Excel Spreadsheet-I took one wrong column of cells to calculate E(t)!Sometimes, it gives you headaches when you have so many data and calculations and when you realise that there is an error, it takes a while to discover that small little mistake. =.="

Anyway, I really hope that we will be able to discover the mistake in Jon's program soon because I want to submit the report on Monday. It's probably not the coding because I'm quite sure they are right. Maybe we missed something when checking for units consistency. Tomorrow (Sunday), we will continue working on this report.

No comments: